12620 Clarksville Pike
Clarksville, MD 21029
Home Remedies & Self-Help Treatment for Sleep Apnea
Behavioral therapy is as simple as it sounds: using changes in behavior to minimize the symptoms of sleep apnea. Patients with only a mild case of sleep apnea may rely on self-help treatment at home as basic as implementing a few lifestyle changes. Patients with more severe cases of sleep apnea may benefit from a supplemental implementation of lifestyle changes in addition to use of an oral appliance, medication or surgery.
So, how can you reduce the effects of sleep apnea on your own?
Here is a list of self-help tips for improving your ability to sleep through the night without snoring and other ill effects:
Home Remedies for Sleep Apnea Patients:
- Limit your intake of alcohol. It can worsen snoring and increase paused breathing
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages three hours prior to bedtime
- Stop smoking! The effects of smoke on the lungs and throat can also worsen your sleep apnea
- Go to bed at a reasonable hour. Sleep deprivation can cause heavy snoring
- If you are overweight, consider a healthy weight loss plan. Sleep apnea tends to occur more often, and manifest itself more severely, in patients who are overweight and obese. Studies show that even a small amount of weight loss can reduce the occurrence of breathing pauses. Unfortunately, weight loss is extremely difficult for patients with untreated sleep apnea.
- Using tennis balls or shark fin pillow to eliminate back sleeping is a home treatment that can help patients with positional apnea.
- Using pillows or raising the head of the bed to elevate the head works to help some apnea patients breathe easier during sleep
- Sleep on your side or stomach to avoid collapse of the airway
- Try not to eat a heavy meal close to bedtime
- Avoid or limit the use of sleeping pills and mood-altering drugs
- Avoid the use of antihistamines at night
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Limit intake of certain dairy foods before bed, as they can increase mucous production and encourage snoring
- Reduce allergens in your home, such as dust and dander
- Sleep with windows closed
- Use a humidifier in your bedroom
All of the above self-help tips are sleep apnea home treatment remedies that can help you sleep better and improve your overall health.
More information on Sleep Apnea:
Sleep Apnea & Snoring
Dangers & Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea Diagnosis